Princessa's Royal Menagerie

My mess of irrational thoughts

Monday, February 13, 2006

The Drill

I had to go to the dentist today. I had braces a few years ago, and never ever had a cavity. Therefore I had no fear untill the time when my wisdom teeth had to come out. Now, most people get to go to sleep for that, but my dentist, (also my uncle) does not put people out. He is quite extraordinary in the fact he pulls lots of teeth. He goes to other countries and pulls teeth for missionary work. He is very good at what it does. Anyway, he is a pro at pulling teeth.
However, when it was my turn, I guess the injection they give had epinephrine (sp?) and it made me start shaking, plus the tooth did not want to break loose.
For those who have not had a tooth pulled while awake, the take a tool and 'pop' your tooth loose then he takes the pliers (im sure there is a dental term for the scary plier tool) and pulls the tooth. I was told, "they just roll right out"
Yea right. Roll out my a**.
It was so tramatic for me. I was all shaking and crying and he concluded that he was not even going to attempt the other side.
He sent me someplace else and I got put out for that one
So I went to the dentist today and had my first ever cavity filled and again the drug made me shake and I cried. What a big baby!
I still have to go back for 2 more.
They tell me the cavities are tiny and only the surface only blah blah.
Im not looking forward to this.
I hope I can be pathetic enough to warrant a shopping trip from my Hubby.
My advice, always, if possible, get knocked out.
And ask for pain killers.
My jaw hurt so bad today when the numbness wore off. But my dentist rarely prescribes meds for pain.
You know Ill be taking the max dosage of ibuprofen tonite!

3 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Tidy Bowl said...

When I got my wisdom teeth pulled I was knocked out... it was no sweat.

I've had so many cavities in my life that I've lost count... I've been seeing JW, the dentist from Living Hope, since I was in elementary school, and he is FANTASTIC!!! If you're really scared, I reccommend paying him a visit. Really... he is the best.

And I should know. The dentist I went to before him was just this side of evil. AWFUL!!! I was terrified of going to the dentist until I was at least a teenager. That evil dentist left some deep scars.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Princessa said...

JW is my dentist!!!!!
=)
and I know he is the best, doesnt help the fear though

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Tidy Bowl said...

Eh understandable.
He IS good, though, isn't he?
But I understand... because my first dentist was a mean mean person who liked to stick his whole hand in my mouth, and no one at his office was very nice to me. I was incredibly traumatized by that... and it was only after going to JW for 4-5 years that I started losing my terror of dentists. And it took another 3 or 4 years before I stopped getting a big old knot in my stomach before every dentist's appointment. So I understand.
Let me know when your next appointment for a filling is scheduled. If I can, I will come over to your house to take care of you after your appointment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home